Saturday 28 May 2011

Gavin and Gertrude Greenfly's family day out

The aphids in my garden are multiplying rapidly and I am going to try out a home-made garlic spray to discourage them from the patio roses, it will be interesting to see how effective or otherwise it is. I was photographing a lovely fresh Speckled Wood on part of the Test Way the other day because the dappled light was fabulous and was pleased with the results. I must admit I hadn't noticed the greenfly at the time, but I think they add rather than detract from the picture.
I know they are the scourge of gardeners, but aphids are an important basal link in the food chain at this time of year so I don't really want to use any sort of poison, especially one which may have adverse effects on the pond. There is always a bit of a lag at this time of year between aphids and their predators but largely I have to force myself to remember that natural control will balance out over the summer if left alone, although on some plants judicious squashing early on will prevent unsightly damage.


An interesting beetle a bit further down the path was the Wasp Beetle, here on a Comfrey leaf. If you didn't know its name then you would probably guess it (like I did)


unless of course you came up with Tiger Beetle which is something entirely different, and by coincidence here is a Green Tiger Beetle I snapped at Bentley Wood..

No comments:

Post a Comment